Have you reported your concerns regarding housing disrepair, to your council landlord? If they have failed to take action, you may be entitled to compensation.

Our supportive team and expert solicitors may be able to claim against them on your behalf for both compensation and for the repairs in question.

Claim Your Housing Disrepair

What does housing disrepair mean?

Housing disrepair refers to a property that is in need of repair in order for it to be safe and meet adequate living standards for tenants to live in. In houses where repairs or remedial works are needed, and the landlord fails to carry out the work within a reasonable amount of time after the issues are reported, this could be considered to be housing disrepair.

In some cases, tenants can make a compensation claim for poor living conditions that cause health issues, directly puts anyone in the household at risk or harm, or cause high and sustained levels of stress and suffering.

Claim Your Housing Disrepair

What counts as housing disrepair?

There are many different issues in a property that could count as housing disrepair if the landlord does not fix the problems within a reasonable amount of time after they are reported.

These disrepair issues can include:

  • A faulty boiler or heating system
  • A faulty gas, electricity or water supply
  • Damp caused by penetrating damp
  • Damp caused by rising damp
  • Vegetation growth/build-up on the building’s exterior
  • A faulty toilet, bath, shower or sinks
  • Broken or faulty guttering, downpipes or drainage
  • Damaged or worn brickwork resulting in damp or leaks
  • Unsafe flooring
  • An unsafe staircase

Social Housing complaints

What are the responsibilities of a landlord?

A landlord is responsible for making sure that the structure and exterior of their property is in good repair, when letting it out to a tenant. Their responsibilities for repair include the roof, chimney stack (if present), guttering and drainage, walls and essential sanitation, such as toilets and baths or showers. Landlords are also responsible for ensuring a safe supply of water, electricity and gas to the property. There may also be some internal repairs that are the landlord’s responsibility, such as fixing unsafe flooring, unsafe staircases or rectifying penetrative or rising damp.

If you are living in rented accommodation run by the Council or Housing Association, your landlord has a legal duty to carry out any necessary housing repairs and maintenance on the property.

Living in a property that is falling into disrepair can be damaging to both you and your family’s health and wellbeing – particularly when it comes to small children or vulnerable adults. If you have reported your concerns to your council landlord but have failed to see any action, our supportive team and expert solicitors may be able to claim against them on your behalf for both compensation and for the repairs in question.

The most important element is to get the repairs done to your home.

Council Tenants Rights:

Legal protocol states that the contract signed between you and your landlord when moving into rented council accommodation, is an agreement that both of you will keep the property up to the required standard of living. These standards include, but are not limited to:

  • Adequate access to hot water and heating.
  • A safe, well-maintained and structurally sound building.
  • Proper working sanitation – including drains, sinks, toilets, baths and basins.
  • Gutters that are free from blockage.
  • Access to electricity and gas.
  • A damp-free and pest-free home

For example, your council home may have no heating or hot water, or may suffer from damp or mould that has been caused by building work issues on the property. Not only can this be inconvenient and unsightly, but health problems can often arise because of it. So, if you have found yourself suffering as a result of poor living standards then we can help you.

Pure Legal Ltd

At Pure Legal, we take council housing complaints very seriously and believe that everyone deserves to live in a safe, well-maintained property.

As a tenant, we understand that you may have concerns about claiming against your landlord, but you don’t have to suffer unnecessarily. To find out your rights as a tenant and for a free initial assessment of your claim fill in our simple form.

Claim Your Housing Disrepair Frequently asked questions

Claim Your Housing Disrepair

Who are Pure Legal?

We're one of the UK’s leading compensation recovery law firms. We specialise in various types of claims – including defective products, financial mis-selling, professional and clinical negligence, road traffic accidents, work and holiday accidents and sickness. We've earned a reputation for shaking up the legal landscape, putting our clients first, and providing an excellent service. You can find out more about us and what we do at purelegallimited.co.uk.

Will I have to pay any costs upfront?

No. We'll complete the initial enquiries into your claim for free and with no obligation from you. If we establish you have a valid claim, we'll ask you to sign a 'No Win No Fee' agreement. This means that provided you work with us and provide honest and timely instructions, the 'after the event' (ATE) insurance policy will cover all costs if your claim is unsuccessful.

If your claim is successful, we’ll retain up to 25% + VAT from the compensation you receive. This will cover your legal fees. We’ll also deduct the cost of the ATE insurance policy and/or a separate agreement to cover your legal expenses.

What counts as Housing Disrepair?

Your landlord has a duty to ensure your living conditions are up to a certain standard and fix any problems within a reasonable time. If you have suffered with problems for 12 months or more, you could be entitled to compensation. Some examples of disrepair issues include:- faulty boilers/heating systems, faulty gas or water supply, damp issues caused by penetrating or rising damp, faulty plumbing such as toilets, sinks, baths and showers, leaks due to damages roofing, guttering or brickwork. Our specialist advisors will talk through all the issues in your home with you and confirm whether or not each can be included in your claim.

How much will I get?

It’s hard to say with any certainty as it depends on lots of different factors. Rest assured, we’ll work hard to ensure you’re fully compensated for the disrepair to your home. An independent surveyor will assess your property and provide an estimate to repair the damage. We will also include any of your personal items that have been damaged due to the disrepair and we will also seek to recover compensation for the inconvenience and impact that living in poor conditions has had on you.

Do I need to have reported the problems to my landlord?

Yes the problems in your home need to have been reported to your landlord. This can have been done in writing/by telephone or in person. The more information/evidence you have of reporting the issues the stronger your case. Our specialist advisors will take full details and collect evidence from you in relation to reporting the issues.

Can I get any work done while the claim is ongoing?

We recommend you don’t have any remedial work done whatsoever once we commence your claim. If you are approached by your Landlord once we have started the claim, please do not allow any repair work to be done but ask them to speak to us. If in doubt, call us and we can advise you.

Do I still need to pay my rent?

We strongly recommend that you continue to pay your rent as per your tenancy agreement, failing to do so would be a breach of your tenancy agreement and may affect the outcome of your claim.

I am already behind with my Rent – can I still claim?

You can potentially still make a claim even if you are behind with your rent payments, however one of our advisors will need to take a few more details from you in relation to your rent and the arrears to ensure your case has good prospects of success.

How long will my claim take?

At the beginning of a claim, it’s hard to say how long it will take to conclude. It usually takes at least 9-12 months from the date we allocate your case to one of our specialist lawyers. If it goes to court, it’s likely to take longer, however we will keep you fully updated throughout the life of your claim as to expected next steps and timescales.

7/5/2020 12:36:30 AM